Monday, October 27, 2014

Motivation Monday: Halloween Edition



Maybe it's the time of the year.

Maybe it's because I haven't posted anything in over a week and I needed to stretch out and do something before I lose more followers.

Maybe it's because I re-opened my t-shirt shop with a couple of new designs, and one of them was a design that I've been preparing for a couple of months, but it wasn't completely finished until I found a technique that woke it up a little bit and I'm probably going to reapply this technique on future designs.

Like it? Buy it here.

Maybe it's because I could stop saying to myself, "It's only a matter of time before they reboot this" when I recently heard the news that they are finally remaking The Crow. My only hope is that they will be closer to the source material this time. Nothing against the movie, I had the movie adaptation on video. Watched it so much that the tape broke.

Maybe it's all these things that prompted me to make today's post, but since it the season for all things horrifying (Ebola hysteria notwithstanding), I thought this quote was particularly motivational.

"The Crow" was an independent comic produced in the late 80s. It's a dark series involving darker characters and even darker story line that was inspired by truly unfortunate and even darker, real events. I'll spare any spoilers for the one or two of you who haven't read it yet. I will say that the antagonist of the story isn't the most virtuous of souls. He is, however, one of the most tortured. Vengeance does that to a guy...especially for a guy that just came back from the dead to kill the people that killed him and his fiancé...





Anyway, today's motivation quote appears at the end of the book, as the hero returns to the afterlife reunited with his beloved. This quote has always stuck with me. First, in a paint-my-fingernails-black-and-listen-to-The-Cure-while-I-lock-myself-in-my-room kind of way. But later, especially in these days of striking out on my own, I've reinterpreted it as a way of saying, "it ain't over, till it's over".

Nothing is over until you say it is. Nothing. Not your life, your love, your wisdom, your empathy. Nothing. Yes they may come with bullets and crude weapons, they may come with a "cease and desist", they may come and liquidate your entire department while promising you that if another position opens up, you'll be the first in line and then 8 months later, advertise for that position in the want ads and "forget" to CALL YOU AND OFFER IT TO SOMEONE ELSE. ARE YA HAPPY, YA BASTARDS?!!!

....sorry....

While you still draw breath, you still have a chance. Poker players refer to this as "a chip and a chair"; so long as you have those two things, you still have a shot at the jackpot. It ain't over till it's over. Don't give up. You still have a shot and so long as you are still walking and talking, you have a chance. You're not dead yet.

It's only death if you accept it...

Font:
Picture:
  • unknown