Friday, July 11, 2014

My Quick Review on Chuck Wendig's, The Kick-Ass Writer.

Here is my brief review of +Chuck Wendig's The Kick Ass Writer: 1001 Ways to Write Great Fiction, Get Published, & Earn Your Audience.

It's brief, because it's written in such a way where it doesn't need to be read from cover to cover. In between the covers there is something for everyone....that sounded way too sexy. What I meant to say was you could probably devour a chapter and be energized enough to make that post or write ten more pages of your manuscript.

I also kept it brief because I'm also in a hurry to dive into Neil Gaiman's American Gods before it gets turned into a mini-series. Not that I have premium cable...but there's always Netflix.

Enjoy.


The Kick-Ass Writer: 1001 Ways to Write Great Fiction, Get Published, and Earn Your AudienceThe Kick-Ass Writer: 1001 Ways to Write Great Fiction, Get Published, and Earn Your Audience by Chuck Wendig
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Okay, I'm keeping this book marked as "Currently-Reading" because I never officially finished it. However, this is a book that was never meant to be read to the final page. This book is the very essence of a book that "you can pick up and put down" and honestly not skip a beat.

For the record, I am a fan of Chuck Wendig. His writing is as fearless as his approach, and I love his ability to rally and wrangle novice writers and twitchy wallflowers to get out there and keep writing. I myself have participated in one of his many writing exercises he has published in his blog. He is an awesome force of nature; even if you don't know what you're doing when you pick up that pen, within minutes of encouragement from him, you will create something brilliant. He never takes writer's block as an excuse, and he will not allow it in his students. He comes across as a bit of a high school football coach, but when it comes to matters of trying to get motivated to put words to paper, I would chose him any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I can talk him up to the rafters, but it will do nothing to make me finish this book. Here's the thing: I don't have to. If advice were currency, then every page is just as rich as the last. Take the book, throw it up in the air, allow it to fall open to a random page, and you will be just as inspired by his advice on that page as you would on any other.

I have added this book to my arsenal of writing tools, and I highly recommend you do as well. If you're a budding writer/novelist/blogger, I highly recommend checking out his blog. Read it cover to cover, flip open to a random page, or just beat yourself over the head with it (not recommended) let this book inspire you to get your writing out of the land of suck, an into the land of kick-ass awesomeness.

View all my reviews