Sunday, May 4, 2014

You Like Me! You Really, Really Like Me!


I was so busy yesterday, that I couldn't keep up with my emails. When I finally had the time to sit down and go through everything, I noticed that I have been nominated by +Michelle Stanley  for The Liebster Award. It was only after I rented my tux and put a security deposit on a stretch limo that I figured out that A.) It's only an "award" given to the bloggers who have been blogging there little bloggy hearts out for years, but have less than 300 followers, and B.) more importantly, there's no monetary prize involved. Not even so much as a Pulitzer Prize-type medal that I can show off on my mantelpiece...



In any case, it is a lovely social vehicle; it's a decent way to say "hello" to all the bloggers that I follow. It's also a pretty good way to draw attention to the bloggers who deserve more followers than they already have. Granted, it's in the form of a chain letter, and it smacks of that old Facebook gimmick where if you "Like" something, you automatically saved a baby, or cured cancer, or captured some obscure war criminal, but it's a welcomed distraction.

It sounds like I might be a little too hard on this, but actually it's kind of fun. If anything, it got me in front of the keyboard and start typing. It also forces me to do something else I'm not that good at...

...Network...


My biggest problem was going through all the bloggers that I know/follow that have less than 300 followers. Luckily, after a few moments of circle-jumping, I have found a handful that truly deserve your attention.

But that comes later. First, to the blurb....

The Rules:
  1. Link back and thank the blogger who nominated you in your post.
  2. List 11 facts about yourself.
  3. Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you.
  4. Pick 5 – 10 new bloggers (must have less than 300 followers) to nominate.
  5. Ask them 11 questions.
  6. Do not re-nominate the blogger who nominated you.
  7. Go to each blogger’s site and inform them of their nomination.
11 Random Things About Myself:
  1. I like to cook. Any given night can go somewhere else, but thou shall keep Saturday Night sacred as Home Made Pizza Night.
  2. I think sea cruises are overrated.
  3. I'm a Browncoat.
  4. I drank tea for two years straight, until I remembered how much I missed coffee.
  5. I was a vegetarian for six years straight, until I remembered how much I missed meat sandwiches.
  6. I was a smoker almost thirty years, until I remembered how much I liked breathing.
  7. I started writing rather late; in Jr. High School. Even though I never kept up with it, it has always been patient, waiting. Waiting for me to come out and dance.
  8. I love chess, I'm just not that good playing it (same goes for WoW, D&D, golf...most ball sports).
  9. I can't stand musical theater, and yet I've memorized every song from West Side Story, Jesus Christ Superstar and Les Misérables.
  10. I'm not a fan of Buffalo Wings. There, I said it.
  11. I'm a huge introvert, but I will not hesitate to speak in front of large audiences.


Questions Asked¹:


     1. Name 3 Secrets You never told anyone.
  • I played Dr. Frankenfurter in a live stage show of RHPS...that's right...I can work it...
  • I once smoked grass while watching Refer Madness (which, in my opinion, is the only way to watch it).
  • I prefer my Strawberry Pop Tarts...UNtoasted! (these aren't really secrets, I just don't have that many)
     2. If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing you'd do?
            Invest. Put that money to work! Then, pay off some debts.

     3. Looking over the last ten years, what is one goal you have achieved, and goal
      you have not achieved?     
            Achieved: Do something worth while. Not achieved: Make a living out of it.

     4. What are your plans for retirement? And will you travel? If so, where and why?
            What is this "retirement" thing you speak of? I presume some traveling will be involved, perhaps to              Europe. I would love to spend some time in Brittany, or the Amalfi Coast.

     5. Favorite Drink on a Friday Night?
            It's usually a Diet Coke because I'm burning midnight oil making pizza dough for the next day. But if  
            all my chores are done, and there's nothing left to do and the house isn't on fire, then it's a whiskey
            on the rocks.

    6. What do you think the secret to a good marriage or relationship with a significant other is?
           Not really sure if I can answer this question with any sort of accuracy. Being divorced and a veteran
           of several failed/doomed relationships, I prefer to plead the fifth on this one. However, from what I
           can ascertain from the relationships I see work, I believe it has something to do with communication
           and a bit of sympathy; the ability to know where the other is coming from.

     7. Name three words that describe your personality.
           Stubborn, Nerdy, Passionate

     8. Home cooked meal, or take-out?
           Home cooked, just about always. And I don't mean something you throw in a microwave. I mean
           something that takes more than 30 minutes to prepare, and involves dirty dishes. It's much more fun
           to do it yourself, and I believe it holds a family closer together.

     9. When was the last time you blogged and what was it about?
           It was 2 days ago, telling people that there was more blogs in the works. It's 2 days later and I'm still
           not finished.

     10. What do you think is the key to happiness?
           Well, I don't think I could put it any more succinct than Monty Python:
"...Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations..."
     11. Who is your favorite poet and why?
            It has to be Richard Brautigan. He will always rise to the top of short listed favorite poets that I have.
            To me, he is someone that will always ride that fine line of the beautiful and the profane; like Tom
            Waits.

Right. Now on to my nominations for the Liebster Award...

Patrick Marsh                   http://greenlanddiary.blogspot.com/
Jenn Flynn-Shon               http://www.jennflynnshon.com/
Ginni-Lee Naylor              https://plus.google.com/u/0/106047553485605555646/about
Alana Harbison                 http://writingmylife79.blogspot.com/2014/04/illusions-and-lies-chapter-8.html
Victoria Addison               http://thecharminghermit.blogspot.co.uk/ (at the time of looking for nominees, she
                                         was well below 300 followers, as of today, she is well above.)

¹I'm not sure how this works, but just use the questions I was asked here.