Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Sourdough Project, Day 4

Day 4:

The directions state:

"If the dough has more than doubled in size, you can go on to Stage Two."

DSC00240

EXCELSIOR!!!

Finally! I get to make my Mother. I will probably have to make a special cupboard just for flour. As I'm looking further in the directions, they're calling for 3 to 4 cups at a time, and this is like every 3 days....hmmm...that doesn't sound right.
DSC00241

Such predicaments, I must forge ahead into alien territory. I cut the culture into 6 equal pieces and separate to the best of my ability in a large metal bowl. The directions make it sound like your dividing a nice piece of Sharp Cheddar to be served with crackers, but in actuality, it is more like bathroom spackle. As I move this goop around, I can't help but catch a whiff here and there. All concerns about it losing its initial acidity and unique aroma have vanished. It's just as fruity, sharp and complex as Day 1.
DSC00242

I add 3 1/2 cups of bread flour and 2 cups of water, stir together until everything gets moist. I cover the whole thing in plastic wrap and wait for 3 hours. Which is just long enough to continue another blog I have going.
DSC00245

Yep. That's right. Another blog. It's about 11:30 on a Tuesday night. I have to wait for another hour to put my Mother in the fridge, and I have another blog that I have to finish in the next two days. Forgive my brevity, but there's really nothing more to this than this. I've tried to embellish as much as I could, but as I'd like to point out every so often......got nothin'.

More later.